Psalm 54 today, King David had learned that the Ziphites came and said to Saul, “We know where David is hiding.” David was being pursued by Saul and learns these “supposed supporters” were helping the one trying to kill him! How would you pray if you knew people were trying to persecute you, even kill you? If you are a totally devoted follower of Jesus, this is what was happening. You have an Enemy and his supporters who want to bring you down. Simply stated, you have multiple enemies of your soul, plotting and scheming to kill, steal and destroy you. SINCE this is true (for it surely is), how should we pray? Let’s take some tips from King David who has “been there, don’t that.”
- Vs. 1: Ask God to come to you with great power and rescue you from the enemies! Pray that God would defend you with all HIS might.
- Vs 2: Plead with God to listen and pray attention to your prayer. Know God desires to hear your pleas!
- Vs 3: Tell God the problem. For David, enemies were trying to kill him. They don’t care for God and his will. Identify your problem in specificity. He does care for you.
- VS 4: Pray the 2 most important words in the Bible: “But God” (as David did). It doesn’t matter how big your problem may be, “but God” is on your side. Say with David, “But the Lord is the one who keeps me alive!”
- Vs 5: Even more specific is his prayer: “Turn their plans against them!”
- Vs 6: “But I will sacrifice voluntarily an animal to you. I will praise your name, for it is good.” Start worshiping God. Praise him for his goodness in your life. Remember the other ways God has rescued you in the past. Believe God is GOOD and his plans for you are good in spite of these vicious enemy attacks.
- Vs 7: Finally, like David, make a FAITH DECLARATION. Speak to the mountain about the greatness of your God. David said, “For you WILL rescue me from my troubles, and you WILL help me TRIUMPH over these attacks and plans. There’s something about speaking our faith out loud, in words, to the enemies and their schemes. It goes alongside worship and praise when the enemy attacks come.
Therefore, WHEN the plots come (and they always do and will), take some cues from King David. He knew the problem. He knew the solution.
Final truth: the greater the level, the greater the devil! The closer you grow to Christ, the more schemes against you are plotted! Even more reason to learn from a master, King David.